Around the House Blog

Subscribe to our Youtube Channel

Breaking Down Contractor Lingo

Aug 1, 2016 2:07:22 PM / by FLHomeSupply

When it comes to home improvement projects, it can be complicated enough to understand the different material options, measurement requirements and other similar factors that go into the whole process—especially if you’re new to the home improvement game. But when a contractor starts using “shop talk” to discuss the details of your project, it can get even more complicated, leaving you with more questions than you had to begin with.

Here are just a few common contractor terms that will make communicating a little easier between the two of you:

  • Butt Joint – The joint that is formed between two pieces of drywall or sheetrock that are pushed together without overlapping

  • Chalking – This word is given to the powder-like substance that appears when exterior paint begins to corrode away due to long-term wear and tear

  • Corner Bead – A metal strip that is placed on outside corners of dry wall before applying drywall plaster

  • Dado – A depression carved into a board that’s designed to attach to the edge of another board

  • Home Run – Used when speaking about electrical matters, a home run refers to the main electrical line that runs from the service panel to the first device within the electrical circuit, such as a box, plug or switch

  • Mud – Any kind of plaster, concrete, spackle or partially liquid-based substance applied foundations, ceilings, walls or other similar surface to coat or cover them

  • Outrigger – A rafter that is extended beyond the wall line, which is typically used to create a roof overhang when nailed to a larger rafter

  • Slump – The term used to explain the consistency of a concrete mixture (for example, a two-inch slump is more dry and compact than a four-inch slump)

  • Stud – A vertical framing member made of either wood or metal, usually attached to two top plates and one bottom plate

  • Toenailing – Driving a nail into something at a slanted angle, often used for fastening floor joists to a plate

  • Truss – The pre-manufactured, triangular wooden structures that support the roof of a house

  • Valley – Used to describe the lowest part of a roof, where the rafters come together; because this is the area that is most susceptible for leakage, a contractor may talk to you about protecting your roof with a waterproof material and proper flashing

  • Zone Valve – An instrument used to flow water to different parts of the building and is operated by a zone thermostat

For more information about contractor lingo, projects and construction materials, contact FL Home Supply at 352-787-4545 today.

Topics: home improvement, projects, contractor, construction materials

Written by FLHomeSupply